On Wednesday 29 August 2001 09:39, Sunitha Kumar wrote:

The SSL filters are what actually does the encryption/decryption.  If
they don't exist, we don't have SSL.  Everything else is just to control
how the filters work.

As for mod_tls, what you are missing, is that the filters have been copied
from mod_tls to mod_ssl.  Right now, we have two modules with the same
basic filters, except the mod_ssl filters have more bug fixes.

Ryan

> could some one give pointers on the need for filters around the ssl
> code. What would be lost if those filters don't exist. And, what was the
> need to put them in, originally.
>
> thanks,
> sunitha
>
> Gonyou, Austin wrote:
> >The referrence here is one about all the filters used by apache 2.0. If
> >there is a filter bucket in APR, it's understandable that Apache 2.0
> > modules will have 2 parts. The logic piece and the filter piece. As far
> > as I can tell, the filter mechanism allows for some distinct advantages
> > and makes for a very flexible configuration framework. My issue here is
> > that if mod_tls is sacrificed, then what's the point of using filters at
> > all anyway? That said, could it be said that you CAN write a module for
> > Apache 2.0 without needing the use of filters? If so, then that makes
> > sense.

Ryan Bloom                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Covalent Technologies                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]