Greg Marr wrote:

> >mod_cache and mod_include should have no knowledge of each other.
>
> Exactly.  They shouldn't care in which order they are run, that
> should be up to the admin.  You're saying the opposite, that
> mod_cache should only be able to run after mod_include.

No - I am saying mod_cache should run after *everything*, not just
mod_include.

> This has absolutely nothing to do with using mod_cache to cache the
> page just before it is processed by mod_include, and processing the
> page retrieved from the cache using mod_include.

Look closer at mod_cache before saying this cannot be done.

mod_cache uses a user configuration to determine what URL prefixes to
cache, and which URL prefixes not to cache. If you want to cache stuff
before mod_include, then configure those included URLs to be cached, and
not the final URL. Problem solved without trying to fiddle with
mod_cache in the filter stack.

> >mod_cache only cares about what is spat out at the end of the filter
> >chain
>
> Why should it be restricted like that?  That makes it less useful.

There are many filter chains in Apache. Each subrequest has it's own
chain, and mod_cache could be at the end of these subchains (and will be
if you configure your URLs correctly). This solves your problem.

> So why are you saying it should be done that way?  It should be able
> to be placed at any point in the filter chain.  Requiring it to come
> after mod_<whatever> is tying its behavior to mod_<whatever>, saying
> that mod_<whatever> must process the   file before it is cached.

No - all mod_cache says is that it goes last in a request chain, that's
all. It neither knows about nor cares about other modules.

Regards,
Graham
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                "There's a moon
                                        over Bourbon Street
                                                tonight..."

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature