Hi all,

Before anyone can make any decision on the fate of mod_ssl, mod_proxy,
mod_ldap, etc - we need to make a decision on how Apache v2.0 and it's
submodules are to be released in their final form. This gives us a goal
to work towards when we make a decision about what goes where and how.

Before we can make this decision, we need to know what the requirements
for such a release are. I would make an initial stab at this:

o Any release should be simple and straightforward from a user
perspective

o Any release should be simple and straightforward from a developer
perspective

o There must be a clear understanding by the user as to which modules
are "official ASF well supported blessed good quality modules" and which
are 3rd party non-ASF modules.

o There must be a clear understanding of what modules a website
developer can expect to be available to them when they have "Apache
installed at their site". We need to acknowledge that Apache is
installed at many hosted environments where end users have litte or no
control over what modules are included and what modules are not by a
system administrator.

Going from the above requirements, I would suggest a release strategy
like this:

o We release apr-x.x.x.tar.gz containing APR, which can be installed
separately (this is the direction APR seems to be going, we should
follow it through to it's logical conclusion).

o We release apache-core-2.x.x.tar.gz containing the basic webserver and
basic core modules.

o We release apache-modules-2.x.x.tar.gz containing mod_proxy,
  mod_ldap, mod_ssl, mod_gz
  ** OR **
  We release apache-proxy-2.x.x.tar.gz, apache-ssl-2.x.x.tar.gz,
  apache-ldap-2.x.x.gz

Some points about the above release:

- The official "blessed" ASF supported modules mod_ssl et al are
released with the prefix "apache-". This clearly demonstrates to the end
user that this is an official ASF supported module, and they know what
quality to expect from it.

- When a "release" is made, the apache-core and the apache-modules are
made at the same time. The different archives are simply a result of the
automated rollup process, and are *not* different projects nor are they
released separately (otherwise they would simply confuse the hell out of
end users).

What needs to be done to achieve the above:

o APR needs to be made to be buildable and releasable on it's own
(assuming this is not already possible).

o Each of mod_ssl, mod_proxy and mod_ldap needs to be stripped into it's
own archive, and the rollup script needs to be modified to produce a
rollup tarball for these modules (or combined module).

o The build procedures for mod_ssl, mod_proxy and mod_ldap need to be
modified so that they are buildable outside the Apache tree.

The stuff I've put down are just suggestions - please tell me if I am
barking up the wrong tree...

Regards,
Graham
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                "There's a moon
                                        over Bourbon Street
                                                tonight..."

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature