I believe this has been on the "future" list for apache for a very long
time.  I'd like to see it happen.  It is nuts that the dozens of mod_auth_*
modules need to redo all that logic.

> To accomplish this, an extra field would be needed
> in request_req (and that's probably not going
> to happen): request_req->groups, which holds
> a string with all the groups the authenticated
> user belongs to.

Just as a point of information, a relatively frequent request that I hear
from users is to provide group information in an env variable (REMOTE_GROUPS
analagous to REMOTE_USER).  This would certainly facilitate that.

Joshua.