From: "Günter Knauf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 1:30 PM

> Hi all,
> I want to ask some questions about Apache on Win32:

> - someone asked me for mod_vhost_alias on Win32, so I compiled it
> and it loads into Server, but didnt test more with it; can we add
> this to the 1.3 Win32 project or does someone think it will not run
> for some reason? (I didnt look at the code because it compiled
> without problems).

Agreed - I'll commit a project file for this.

> - as there is a makefile for mod_example for unix present also there
> should be one for other platforms as Win32 and NetWare too, not build
> by default but present in the project.

No.  APXS works for win32.  I'd be happy to document how to build
mod_example by APXS for users to follow.

> - the manual doesnt work after build, at least not on Win32 and NetWare.
> I have to add always the 'Includes' and 'AddHandler server-parsed .html'
> directives. As you know I posted this issue already to the list and someone
> told me that the files will be expanded; but at least with NetWare I'm 100%
> sure that there expands nothing and on Win32 also after 'InstallBin' the
> manual isnt functional. I think it would be nice if we add these two
> directives to the new directory block of ./manual because then we have
> immediatly after a build also a functioning sample for SSI:

I disagree.  Please see the expand.pl and notes in 'rolling the release tarball'
in the dev.apache.org site.  Users from CVS suffer this same issue.  Users of
the tarball/zipfile do not suffer this problem.

But the way 1.3 kept the src tree within the build tree is a nightmare.  We
can't auto-expand without busting the image so it can no longer be updated or
committed to cvs.  It's just a tangled mess that is resolved in 2.0

> - currently we have 45 warnings with the Win32 build of 1.3: does it make
> sense that I look through it and make some casts to make VC6 happy and
> contribute patches?

It's a thought.  I'd rather chase the problems out of 2.0 than 1.3 though.
I cleaned up a ton a while back, and there are many more, but many (most?)
can't be fixed without substantial changes to code that -can't- be changed.
Win32 uses atypical definitions for things in sockaddr and so on that we
can't work around portably without introducing -new- compiler warnings on
other platforms.

OTOH, if you find a warning that indicates a real problem, PLEASE bring that
to our attention, and even suggest a patch :)

> - I've used a patch against mod_autoindex which enables setting of colors
> with server generated indexes and it works fine; no I wanted to build
> mod_autoindex as separate module, but when I do so mod_autoindex runs fine
> but 'MultiViews' doesnt work anymore! Is this because of wrong load order?
> I tested this only with NetWare, so it may be an issue with this platform...

-1 for these sorts of changes to core for the 1.3 tree - but to answer to your
question, how doesn't it work in multiviews?  Please change the subject and
split this question from the other (1.3 release-releated) topics.

In general, please consider bandaids for 1.3/Win32 very temporary, once 2.0
is released as GA quality, we will quickly orphan Win32, in the sense that the
1.3 implementation is far too hackish for ongoing support ;)  You can't have a
clean 1.3 implementation, because NT didn't fit in the 1.3 schema.  All that
code is along it's own fork, with all sorts of messy thunking.  APR resolves
the 80/20 problem.

Bill