[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 01-09-08 17:43:15 EDT, Ryan wrote...
>

>>I know that there aren't many modules for 2.0 today, but at some
>>point, everybody who has a module for 1.3 will want to port it to 2.0.  I
>>can currently do that in under one hour for even complex modules.
>>Changing API's like this after we have had 25 releases, makes that harder.
>>
>> Ryan
>>

> It's a certainty that when the general public has enough confidence
> in 2.0 to start porting all the existing modules over ( mod_oas,
> mod_bandwidth, mod_my_module, God all what else ) they will
> do so by using the 1.x.x code and just changing as little as
> possible... which traps all the other API calls in there.
>
> It certainly would be best to be very careful about changing
> any more API's at this point until 2.0 is out the door and
> flying under its own power. It's almost ready.

once 2.0 is out the door it is going to be hard/impossible
to change ANY api, as you will break alot of people's work
and people will have a hard time upgrading.
If there is going to be a API change NOW is the time.
Since the last beta there have been several API changes, and
have caused 3rd party modules (like mod-proxy, and our internal ones)
to fail. I expect this in a beta/alpha, not in a released product.