On Wed, 2001-09-12 at 19:22, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> [...]
um.. no
I like the map_to_storage.
It will increase performance significantly for us, and will make our
design easier for our custom modules.

I keep on pointing out problems with map_to_storage because I keep on
running into them when I am handling reverse proxying (a major component
in our web design)
I am in no way suggesting to remove this hook.

> The behavior you observe is neither a bug nor a misconfiguration.  Global Options
> should have (always) been set on <Location />.  Filesystem Global Options should
> have (always) have been set on <Directory /> (at least since the patch for win32
> and relatives to allow even d:/ to be affected by Directory "/").

the problem is that in the standard httpd-std.conf the configuration is
done in @@Serveroot@@/htdoc directory instead of Location "/"
the way the current configuration 'out of the box' would not work
properly for people serving pages off non-filebased systems.

What I am suggesting is to move some of these configurations to
<Location /> where they belong.

(BTW.. there are NO '<location>' directives installed in the
httpd-std.conf)

> IMHO - this increases security - significantly.  What on earth are the two of
> you proposing.  When you speak of a 'code' fix, I'm near certain I smell a veto
> (in favor of reverting all filesystem abstraction to date) and drop all further
> efforts on dir_walk and file_walk as well.

the code 'fix' I am proposing (if any) is to change the 'Options' to
default to 'OPT_NONE' instead of 'OPT_ALL'. (which is what it currently
does)

--
Ian Holsman
Performance Measurement & Analysis