> From: Falle Rainer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Apache Web Server for Windows CE
> Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:48:08 +0200
>
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I am interested in a port of the Apache Web Server for Windows CE.
>
> Currently we are using the Apache Web Server Version 1.3.20 with the
> PHP- Extension for one of our projects.  The Web- Server is running on
> a standard desktop PC (OS: Win98, Win200 or WinNT). This PC is
> connected to a smart device, which is used for facility management,
> via a serial link.
>
> In our next release we want to port the web- server functionality to
> the smart- device. This device comes with Windows CE.

Depending on your timetable, I (personally) would discourage you from
focusing on 1.3.20 - as it is not nearly as robust as the Apache2.0+APR
model for porting and compatibility.

IBM has already released betas of several products based on 2.0 the
Apache 2.0 alpha and beta development cycle (none Win32 that I'm aware of.)
It's grown into a fairly stable codebase, with minor api changes happening
weekly based on identified shortcomings and security weaknesses.

> I would appreciate if you could provide me with information if there
> is already a port for Windows CE available.

Not that I am aware of.  Using the 2.0 model (php is already ported to
the 2.0 series) you need to simply focus on the Apache Portability
Runtime (APR), and specific customizations to the MPM (multiprocessing
module).  The rest of the server is (or shortly will be) entirely
leveraged on the APR library.

If this avenue interests you, we would encourage you to subscribe to
the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
We would certainly entertain any patches that add WinCE support to APR.
Any MPM discussions should be posted to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

Regards,

Bill