> > mod_proxy it adds additional headers like "X-Forwarded-For" ,
> > "X-Forwarded-Host", "X-Forwarded-Server" in the content handling phase that
> > I may want to modify, replace or unset.
>
> In this case a ProxyAddOutputFilter directive could be used to add the
> mod_headers filter, this will do this for you.

Yes, in fact that was the first approach I tried.  Tut that would require
modification of how the reverse proxy code works (which I would avoid if possible).
You would need to create and associate a request with that filter chain and
modify the proxy code that sends the output headers to work that way (something
similar to what it does with incoming requests on the proxy side).
Since I am just modifying headers, that is why I proposed this header fixup
hook.

> > While the idea is the same (passing request information to an external
> > program) in these cases you are modifying the incoming headers, because
> > there is no additional external HTTP request.
>
> In the case of both mod_jk and mod_webapp, there is an HTTP-like request
> to a Java servlet server. Both modules are very similar in function to
> proxy.

This is just what I said :)  In fact, I do not undersand why mod_jk or
mod_webapp had to invent yet another little protocol and are not implemented
as a reverse proxy, like BEA weblogic connector does.

Best regards

Daniel