On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> And dinamically reconfigure your apache web server from an HTTP request?

I am not sure if sending everything over HTTP is really such a good idea.
It would be nice if it did not have unnecessary overhead and could integrate
well with already build technology that is mainly used for remote configuration.

Things like LDAP, WebDAV, DHCP/BOOTP and SNMP already have some of these qualities
and allow you to configure/maintain things.

If you allow reconfiguration via an HTTP request, then you start running into
all sorts of race conditions. Your new configuration is going to effect
your configuration update mechanism. I mean I do not use my vacuum cleaner to clean
a vacuum cleaner.

Dynamic configuration of something that is receiving this new configuration request
seems unncessarily complex to me.

--
Sander van Zoest                                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
High Geek                                         http://Sander.vanZoest.com/