----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 12:37 AM
Subject: Re: "make certificate" Doesn't Work, Apache 2.0.28, Unix, and mod_ssl (fwd)

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 12:50:39AM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> >
> > Acked.  Did we decide what we're going to do about this?  Or is it just
> > waiting on somebody to do it?
>
> I think wrowe and I were of the mind that we shouldn't have any
> dummy certificates or any automated process to create a certificate.

No... I don't believe we should have a 'stock' dummy certificate of the
'snake oil' variety.  If someone wanted to copy the modssl code to create
a 'temporary dummy cert' that's a different matter.  Just don't try to
create dummy data for a ficticious entity as the 'snake oil' example did.

> This is a case where I believe it is best to not even try than do
> something that'll blow up in our faces later (It Worked anyone?).

:)

> I think we said that it is okay to point at a HOWTO (now do we write
> this HOWTO?).  That's not really our responsibility.  If you can't
> figure out how to create a certificate from the documentation, we
> don't want you running a SSL server that implicates the evil
> Snake-Oil company.  =)

Exactly.  If they can figure out how to create a certificate, then more
power to them (even a blow-by-blow howto would be good.)  If they can't RTFM,
they are probably a long ways off from running an ssl-enabled server in
the first place (if they don't know what port 80 is, how on earth do we
expect them to netstat -an | grep "443" :-?)

Bill