> > I'm in favor of doing this in the code and not forcing every
> > administrator to reconfigure their server to get this functionality.
>
> For modules in our bundle, by all means do them right -- as long
> as it doesn't mean writing an essentially identical map handler
> for each.  If we need to do that, then something's wrong.  However,
> I think we should provide something to allow 3P module usage to avoid
> the stats without requiring that *they* be rewritten.

I disagree with the last sentence.  We should not complicate the configuration of the
server more than it already is to accomodate poorly written Apache 2.0 modules. Module
authors are a small group and they can learn to do the right thing.  Apache 2.0 users
are
a -much- larger group and we should be more mindful of making changes that adversely
affect the users.

Bill