On 10 Jan 2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Ian Holsman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > can you run it with efence/purify on ?
> > this should catch the problem.
>
> I wish I had purify.

I've got it.  I'll try running it on HEAD later today.

> I've tried efence on Linux but I'm not sure what is supposed to
> happen.

It's supposed to segfault if you attempt to read or write outside the
bounds of memory you allocated with malloc.

> It segfaults all over the place when I bang on it, but I don't get
> coredumps when threads segfault on my level of kernel :(

Try running it directly under gdb if you haven't already... I frequently
use efence on Linux, and have found running it directly under the debugger
to be the most headache-free way to figure out what's going on.  Usually
you can start up the server and then attach to the child process's pid
(not one of an individual thread), and you should be good to go.

Sorry I missed the rest of the conversation, but what exactly do you have
to do to "bang on it" to see the segfault?  I'll try it myself if you give
me a hint as to what to try.

> Maybe I can get efence installed on AIX or Solaris where I know I can
> get coredumps.

I guess that's also worth doing.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley