From: "Dwayne Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 1:45 PM

> >>I just clicked on the restart computer option on the shutdown menu.  I
> >>did not gracefully stop the apache service first.
> >>

> >Yup.  If you use Mark's procexp program from sysinterals.com you will see you
> >have no apPID_shutdown event.  That Event is critical for shutdown, the rest
> >of the errors you see follow from that missing bit.
> >
> The apPID_shutdown event is what comes out of an apache -k restart or
> apache -k shutdown?  What does Windows service manager do to stop a
> service...yank the rug out from under it?

SCM -> Apache parent SCM monitor thread : SHUTDOWN
monitor thread -> send ourself the shutdown_event signal
parent main thread -> Ugh, shutdown?  Ok, tell children to die.
  children didn't die?  Kill em.
  stop program.

That's the nutshell at least.

> Since my error occurred on startup (I believe),  why does the improper
> shutdown of Apache influence it's startup?

It shouldn't, but the CreateEvent stuff seems hosed.  Try setting the service
to 'Log in as a Specific User' (you) and see if that changes anything.