Isn't that the whole cross platform point here? If another platform
decided that it was better for them to have log rotation in Apache,
isn't it better to share code rather than reinvent or duplicate the
wheel?  I don't have a problem with separating the code into another
module, but I would rather share than duplicate.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
Novell, Inc., a leading provider of Net business solutions
http://www.novell.com

>>> "Ryan Bloom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Wednesday, February 27, 2002
3:37:12 PM >>>

> Is is enough for us to simply #ifdef these changes in
mod_log_config.c
> or would you rather see a separate logging module?  Except for the
> addition of these two directives, everything else works for us.

I would personally like to see a separate logging module, because it
makes it less likely that somebody else would want to put log rotation
into mod_log_config.

Ryan

> Brad
>
> Brad Nicholes
> Senior Software Engineer
> Novell, Inc., a leading provider of Net business solutions
> http://www.novell.com

> 3:28:25 PM >>>
>
> > Like I mentioned before, on NetWare we can't use a piped log
because
> the
> > NetWare OS doesn't support pipes.  A cron job is also a problem
> because
> > we don't have that either.  Since Apache created the log file,
> writes
> > the log file, formats the output and closes the log file, is it
that
> big
> > of a leap to have it rotate the log file as well?
>
> It always has been in the past.  The thing is that the web server
> should
> be serving pages, not mucking with log files.  The other thing is
that
> rotation is going to need to be different on different platforms.
How