Huh?  "Additional information not already available" ???

Try authn/authz, for one.  Or, how about "Do we have a handler that
can handle this resource?"  Or, 'hmm... <Files .bak> are never to be
served.

We must run the entire process_request_internal to know that a file
listed in autoindex is servable.

If you wanted a toggle for the operator to say, "Hey, who cares, give
me back the CPU cycle and they can see anything I'm foolish enough
to put in those directories!!!", I'd be +1 for such a directive.  And skip
the lookup altogether.

But that's -only- by choice, it should not be the default for the obvious
security-related reasons.

But you aren't describing anything that fancyindexing on 1.3 didn't
already do.  No surprise here.

Bill