Bit of a bogus suggestion from my side since I prefer not to have
long comments when it can be expressed in 4 extra characters.

> > or make it explicit that you are
> > testing for != 0.  The extra braces are bound to be removed by some
> > overactive style nitter ;)
>
> Nope.  Style nitters better pay attention to gcc -Wall to avoid doing
> anything stupid.

True.

> (Actually everybody should.  I can't believe how
> freakin' lazy some people are.)

Unfortunately true as well.  This also goes for running the test suite.

> The only time I feel the need to put a comment in the code to describe
> a change to clean up warnings is when an incorrect "foo is used before
> set" warning is cleared up by initializing the variable.

It is not about cleaning up the warning, which is a good thing.  It is
about making it more readable.

if ((a = b))

is less obvious as

if ((a = b) != 0)

I was kind of hoping you would be able to detect the joking tone I
was trying to use in the last sentence.  What I probably should have
done is make it explicit that IMO being explicit is the better way
to go about this; especially from a review point of view.

> Jeff Trawick

Sander