My point was you can't simply copy integers across processes, they won't
map to the same vnode. You must use a mechanism for passing them between
these processes, and this comes at a price.

If you're looking for a cross-platform shared-memory implementation,
APR's got it: apr_shm.h
If you want to do memory management in that segment, feed it to apr_rmm.h

-aaron