At 05:24 PM 5/3/2002, you wrote:
>On Fri, 3 May 2002, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
> > Ok, but where should this information go then?  Apache has definitely
> > benefitted by having this information available.  Some sort of
>
>What I meant was I don't think the MPM should be announced to the client.
>What possible benefit could there be to doing that?

And I agree here with Cliff...

The Server String provides clients some very useful information in compensating
for discrepancies between HTTP implementations.  I've never agreed that this
"exposure of potential expoits" has any impact; most crackers are just
pummeling
every useful vulnerability against as many random machines as possible.

Changing the ServerString doesn't provide any useful data, since all MPMs treat
the HTTP protocol the same (and outright MPM bugs can't really be adjusted
for).
Denial of service exploits, however, may depend on understanding the request
processing model.  A denial of service against worker likely has little or no
impact against perchild, etc.

The only advantage is for tracking mpm adoption rates, and I don't think that's
a sufficient benefit to outweigh this disadvantage.  If HTTP requests would
react differently under different MPMs, my opinion would be swayed.

-0 on this concept here.

Bill