Ryan Bloom wrote:
>>From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

>>-0 here too... the problem is that a proxy engine, knowing of a
>
> specific
>
>>bug with
>>Apache 2.0.41 and prior could compensate for that shortcoming.  Having
>
> no
>
>>version information means the proxy or other client may be unable to
>>accommodate
>>that discrepancy with the HTTP specification.
>

> How prevalent is that in reality?  I mean we allow anybody to bring what
> we report down to just major version number, so we really can't expect
> proxy servers to use what we report to circumvent problems, can we?

I'm not a big fan of encouraging clients to use the Server header for
anything important.  But I think having specific version information in
there does have a use: it allows people who know what they are doing to
diagnose problems much easier.  If your client can't seem to talk to the
specific server using, for example, chunked input, it is very valuable
to know whether you are dealing with 2.0.18 or 2.0.36.

Joshua.