Graham Leggett wrote:
GL> Sébastien Bonnegent wrote:
GL> > I want to make a transparent proxy where the client only
GL> > have to give an authentification the first time for a domain
GL> > and after the proxy gives the authentification for the others
GL> > domains. In this system, the auth system must recognize the Basic
GL> > and the Digest mecanisms.
GL>
GL> Hmmm... you're going to battle doing this, basically because you need to
GL> get the browsers to cooperate.

Not necessarily, because I can detect in the proxy module when the server
responds with a 401 (need authentification) and in this case, I re-send
a request with a authentification field if the user is already authentified
on the proxy. And this, without any browser's cooperation.
This is why I need to share some data between different servers. But, in
another hand, this means more work for Apache and certainly taller
response time.

GL> But - your browser is going to ask for a username and password on each
GL> attempt to connect to a different website name

Yes, I know. It is why I want to provide the authentification information
instead of the user. (because there is the same "login/password" for all
my websites)

GL> (unless the browser bases
GL> it's decision to ask for a password based on the realm string, in which
GL> case it might work).
GL> This is easy to try without any actual coding - set it up and see if it
GL> works...

I have already tested it with Netscape, Galeon, Mozilla, lynx, ... and it
seems that it isn't a standard !

Regards,
seß - sinad
--
GPG uid: 0xCB92591D  ICQ: 60143970
LINUX - because life is too short to reboot !