On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 12:29:53PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 1 Oct 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > gstein      2002/10/01 09:24:41
> >
> >   Modified:    server   core.c
> >   Log:
> >   Fix bug in the default handler. POST is not allowed on regular files.
> >   The resource must be handled by something *other* than the default
> >   handler.
>
> -1.  This is going to break PHP.  PHP is a filter now, which means that
> the page is served by the default_handler.  Since PHP requests are allowed
> to use POST, this is now broken.
>
> As I said before, the bug is in mod_dav, and must be fixed there.

That will get fixed. I keep saying that, but you keep harping on "default
handler isn't broken". Bunk.

The default_handler is broken. If you POST to a resource, it returns the
resource. That isn't right.

But the PHP point is a good one. So how do we prevent a POST from returning
the resource, yet make it available for PHP?

I think that we have a model problem here. For a POST method, you need
something to *handle* the POST. Somebody actually needs to accept the posted
content, do something with it, and then *generate* a response. That response
might actually have other filter processing to apply to it.

It almost seems like PHP needs to act as a handler for POST requests (to
deal with the posted content), and as a filter for GET requests.

Does that seem right?

Cheers,
-g

--