On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> At 01:12 PM 10/1/2002, Greg Stein wrote:
> >For PHP, we said "make it a filter [so the source can come from anywhere]".
> >I think we really should have said "for GET requests, allow it to be
> >processed by PHP." The POST, PROPFIND, COPY, etc should all be possible to handle
>by PHP, which means that PHP also needs a handler.
>
> Agreed, if you write a PHP script we better allow you to PROPFIND
> or COPY the puppy, in addition to POST.

These are two different statements, if I am reading both
correctly.  Please correct me if I am not.  Will, you are saying that if
we have a PHP script, then we need to be able to do all DAV operations on
the script.  Greg, you are saying that a PHP script needs to be able to
satisfy a DAV request (meaning that the PHP code actually copies the
resource, or generates the PROPFIND data).

Assuming I am reading the two statements correctly, I agree with
Will, but not with Greg.  There is a major difference between satisfying a
COPY or PROPFIND request and generating a page that has accepted POST
data.

A filter will never be able to satisfy COPY or PROPFIND, because those are
actions that should be done in the handler phase.  However, having two
ways to read the PHP script from disk (default_handler and php_handler),
and run the page through the interpreter doesn't make sense.  That is why
PHP was re-written as a filter, to allow it to take advantage of ANY
back-end data store that we have.

> >Heck, PHP should also be able to handle a GET request. For example, it
> >should be able to retrieve the content from a database, and then shove that
> >into the filter stack.
> >
> >IOW, PHP is really a handler *and* a filter. It can handle the generation of
> >content, but it can also process generated content when that content is a
> >PHP script.

I think I am missing something here.  PHP doesn't handle content
generation.  It never has.  In Apache 1.3, PHP could read a script from
the disk and interpret it.  In Apache 2.0, PHP _should_ be able to read a
script from a bucket and interpret it.  (The fact that it doesn't right
now, is not really germane to this discussion).

>From my reading of the statement above, you want people to be able to
write handlers in PHP, which would find another page or script in a
database and send it down the filter stack.  That can't be done right now,
PHP can't write handlers that way, at least not that I am aware of.

This BTW, is why mod_perl has both concepts, handlers and
filters.  Handlers are used as content endpoints, they generate
data.  Filters are used to modify data that was already generated.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood anything in this
mail.  Everything I have said above is based on my reading of the message,
and I tried to point out where I may have not understood what the original
author was saying.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610