On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 20:59, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Let's get cracking and we can have a 2.1 release out by year end,
> depending on how far we go with changes in that version.  Certainly
> some of the file-based stuff can finally be separated out, even if not
> as radically as GStein has proposed.

There's one thing about this proposal that I really like:
It creates a schedule goal for 2.1.

In the past, I've been opposed to jumping to 2.1 because
it was so vaguely defined that one couldn't be sure if
delaying a feature to 2.1 meant "it will be out next
quarter" or "it will be out in a few years."  If we can
build consensus around a 2.1 with a limited feature set
and schedule, them I'm much more interested...

I don't have a strong opinion about the authn redesign,
but I do have one change in mind that would fit well in
2.1: async write support.  And async read support, but
that may take a lot longer.

Brian