On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 12:02 AM, Thomas Eibner wrote:

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:27:30PM +0900, Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:
Resending this to this list as I got no response on users list.

Currently, we are using flat config files generated by our website
provisioning software to support our mass hosted customers. The reason
for doing it this way, and not using the mod_vhost_alias module is
because we need to be able to turn on/off CGI, PHP, Java, shtml etc on
a per vhost basis. We need the power that having a distinct
<VirtualHost> directive for each site gives you.

Is there a better way?

I once started a project to do this from a database, I eventually stopped
as I couldn't figure out a nice way to enable/disable php,cgi,whatever on
demand. Serving virtualhosts from documentroots you pull out of a database
is no big deal.

I wasn't thinking of anything radical. Just have a hook to set the handler for a particular document (if it matches .php or .php4) to the PHP module if it's allowed to, and serve it as a normal document if not. Etc.

I've not had a great delve in the hooks but nothing has suggested in what I've looked at that it's not possible.

I really need to get a proof-of-concept working; maybe this weekend if my other half gives me a 'allowed to use computer' note for the teacher.

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - Systems Engineer - Shared Hosting
ValueCommerce Japan - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp

"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline -
it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear
weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER." - Frank Zappa