Stas Bekman wrote:

When I've ported mod_perl 2.0 build to AIX, I have resorted to just using -berok (which is one of the flags enabled by -G). -G itself didn't quite work, I don't remember why. However I was told that it depends on which compiler is used, I've heard that this postpone-symbol-resolving doesn't always work.

actually I should have said " -Wl,-brtl", as that is what we use with apr (and any apr apps that pick up apr ldflags)... as you pointed out, -G is more than just rtl

the only part that I've heard depends on the compiler is this:

libtool doesn't enable run-time linking with gcc in cases where it would do so for the IBM compiler

Apache handled this issue for apxs starting in 2.0.45 by doing something we should have done all along: pull in APR's ldflags when linking DSOs so that we no longer relied on libtool to enable run-time linking

the only part I've heard about where run-time linking doesn't always work is when two pieces of code implement the same symbol, since there is a flat namespace... traditional AIX dynamic linking is two-level namespace, where for each symbol the binary indicates which library will resolve it

if mod_perl is built with apxs or with apr-config ldflags, then it uses run-time linking... Jens-Uwe Mager had done a lot of work with mod_perl and Apache 1.3 on AIX and indicated that run-time linking was the way to go... that, and anecdotes from other folks with mod_perl on AIX, influenced the choice to use run-time linking by default with apr and Apache 2.0