Graham Leggett wrote:

My Apache server just went down, and now refuses to come up, logging the
following message:

[Wed Oct 01 11:16:12 2003] [error] Cannot allocate shared memory:
(17)File exists

There is no record of which module is emitting this message, nor does
the message say which file this is referring to. Anyone know?

Turned out to be the file referred to by the SSLSessionCache parameter.

Is it possible to make the error message more descriptive, so that it refers to the file by name?

Is it also possible to delete this file before Apache starts up, so that this "file exists" problem cannot occur?

I am using httpd-2.0.47-4, as provided by Redhat Rawhide.

Regards,
Graham