I've updated the tools/release.sh script in the httpd-dist CVS
repository to make it easier for anyone to create HTTPD tarballs.
Before it was necessary for a tag to exist before a tarball could
be created. This made it very difficult to release
experimental/developmental tarballs to a set of users for testing,
since we only like to make tags for releases that we believe will
be voted GA.

The new script takes away the VERSION parameter and replaces it
with two new parameters:
  TAG is the CVS tag that we will pull from.
  RELEASE-VERSION is the name that we'll give the tarball.

For example, running

  > tools/release.sh httpd HEAD 2.1.0-rc1

creates a tarball named httpd-2.1.0-rc1.tar.gz from HEAD.

-aaron