Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Bill Stoddard wrote:

Apache 1.4, an APR'ized version of Apache 1.3 (to pick up IPV6 and 64 bit support) with all the Windows specific code stripped out and source compatability (to the extent possible) with Apache 1.3 modules would probably see rapid uptake. I can't say that thrills me but it's probably true...

Not sure why providing useful software wouldn't thrill you.
Don't read too much into that comment. 1.3 is just so damn crufty in many respects as compared to 2.0 that it offends my senses. But 1.3 has some significant strengths in its favor. 2.0.recent is pretty darn stable (at least with the threaded MPM) and is backward compatable with binaries compiled with releases as early as 2.0.42. But the filter API in 2.0 is just horribly complex (IMHO) and takes a -lot- of effort to master.

Speculation.

In this economic environment (and perhaps this will turn out to be generally true from now on), companies are not making investments in IT unless they can get a proven and almost immediate return on that investment. Making the jump to Apache 2.0 -can- be a big investment (depending on how many custom/third party modules you use) and that investment will not be made unless 2.0 enables some fundamental new business processes not possible with 1.3. I would venture that most of those kinds of investments are being made in Java, .Net or PHP application environments. Being able to eliminate 1 machine in 3 due to scalability improvements in 2.0 probably won't be a sufficient return on investment for most folks. A really kick-ass load balancing/active fail-over feature in mod_proxy might generate some interest in 2.0 deployed in the DMZ (features like this are significantly easier to implement in threaded webservers).

I think the
point here is that someone is eventually going to do this.  Would be nicer
to have it under our control than have it leave the ASF.

You probably have a much better read on this than most of the folks here. I'd like to believe that ipv6, threading and 64 bit support is the catalyst that will get many folks over to 2.0. Dunno tho...

-Rasmus

Bill