MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
I sure would do that sometime today. The leader probably uses some
apr_atomic stuff - and I'm trying to see if I can use IA64 native code to do
the atomics.

For people at ease with visual stuff, here's the CPU performance that I'm
getting with worker MPM and SPECweb99_SSL.
Something looks is terribly wrong.

httpd.conf:
------------
MPM: worker

StartServers           1
MaxClients          2000
MinSpareThreads      500
MaxSpareThreads     2000
ThreadsPerChild      500

-Madhu

Last I checked (year+ ago), worker performed a bit better on my single CPU AIX machine than leader-follower. I expect l-f could be made to perform better than worker.

It's difficult to tell if your CPU results are fooness or not. If you have many clients sleeping on a k-a connections, you could easily see CPU usage like this. Are you using CGI scripts? (an aside... if so better be using mod_cgid rather than mod_cgi with worker). Jeff may have already pointed out to you a "feature" in the AIX that would keep threads hanging around an unusual amount of time waiting for notification from the kernel that the CGI script was dead. Here is the fix for AIX:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/modules/generators/mod_cgid.c.diff?r1=1.158&r2=1.159

If your specweb99 runs use lots of CGI scripts, you could be hitting this or a variation.

Bill