On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:48:37PM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:21:08PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > % sh buildconf
> > rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
> > buildconf: checking installation...
> > buildconf: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
> > buildconf: libtool version 1.5a (ok)
> > Copying libtool helper files ...
> > cat: aclocal.m4: No such file or directory
> > buildconf: Using libtool.m4 at /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.
> >
> > but, if I upgrade my libtool, there will be no file
> > /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
> > cf libtool/NEWS:
> >
> > New in 1.5b: 2004-??-??; CVS version 1.5a, Libtool team:
> > * make install now deletes preexisting $prefix/share/libtool before installing
> >   latest files.
>
> libtool.m4 goes in $prefix/share/aclocal not share/libtool, and all this
> means is that "make install" does an rm -rf on $prefix/share/libtool
> before recreating it with the new files, I presume.  Are you actually
> seeing practical problems? I'm using libtool HEAD without problems.

Yes. The above was from my November libtool HEAD. I just upgraded now
to today's libtool HEAD, and

% sh buildconf |& tee buildconf.out
rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
buildconf: libtool version 1.5a (ok)
Copying libtool helper files ...
cat: aclocal.m4: No such file or directory
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 not found
./buildconf failed for apr

As I was trying to say, there is no libtool.m4 in $prefix/share/aclocal
(If you really want to know, it is in $prefix/share/libtool/m4, but I
didn't want to mention it, because making your search for it uglier
isn't the right plan. I was really looking for comments along why that
sed song and dance was actually necessary at all..)

Cheers,

Patrick