On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:46:31PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> Yes. The above was from my November libtool HEAD. I just upgraded now
> to today's libtool HEAD, and
>
> % sh buildconf |& tee buildconf.out
> rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
> buildconf: checking installation...
> buildconf: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
> buildconf: libtool version 1.5a (ok)
> Copying libtool helper files ...
> cat: aclocal.m4: No such file or directory
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 not found
> ./buildconf failed for apr

Ah, sorry, my libtool HEAD wasn't HEADy enough either.  I hadn't spotted
that the new libtoolize copies libtool.m4 into the cwd, that solves the
whole "where is libtool.m4" problem for good.

Can you try updating to apr HEAD?  The changes I just checked in should
fix this issue - thanks for reporting it.

> As I was trying to say, there is no libtool.m4 in $prefix/share/aclocal
> (If you really want to know, it is in $prefix/share/libtool/m4, but I
> didn't want to mention it, because making your search for it uglier
> isn't the right plan. I was really looking for comments along why that
> sed song and dance was actually necessary at all..)

It's needed so that apr_rules.mk gets a LIBTOOL definition which has an
absolute pathname, since apr_rules.mk is included verbatim by apr-util.
Without the sed you get:

LIBTOOL=$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool

(try changing the sed to a cp and watch the build break :)

joe