Hi,

I hereby would like to propose that we move the HTTP Server project
codebase to the Subversion repository at:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/.

Subversion had a 1.0 release februari 23rd (followed by a 1.0.1 release
yesterday).  Binaries are available for various platforms.  Given that
it is built on top of APR, it shouldn't be a problem to build it on the
platforms where no binaries are available yet.

Subversion itself has been self hosting without problems for a few
years now.  There is overlap between the APR and Subversion developers,
and also between the HTTP Server and Subversion developers*, so we
should be able to help eachother out if we come across any issues.

Furthermore, Subversion implements a module (mod_dav_svn) to leverage
Apache for (one of) its remote access layer(s).  And another one to
do authorization (mod_authz_svn).  So there is more of consuming our
own dogfood right there :).

A couple of projects have already gone before us, and there have
been no complaints (quite the opposite :).  The Commons TLP, and
the SpamAssassin project (incubator), have been using Subversion
for months, amongst others.

You can browse through history here:
  http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs/?root=Apache-SVN

Speaking of history, the full history will be preserved.

Then there is also the fine Subversion book:
  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

To play around with subversion a bit, we have a scratch
repository at: https://svn.apache.org/repos/test.

First, log in via ssh, and run 'svnpasswd' to set
your subversion password.

Now you're ready to start messing about.

Create a personal area:
$ svn mkdir https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/<userid>
< you'll get a passwd prompt, your username is your asf userid >

Check out a working copy of your area:
$ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/<userid> my_working_copy

Experiment!

We'll make a converted httpd source tree available shortly at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/httpd, so you can try Subversion
on some real, familiar, data.

I've proposed the same on the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list with respect to the APR
project.  It would be convenient, although not nessecary, if both
projects decided to move at the same time.

Sander

*) That one was so easy I couldn't resist ;)