On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 12:50:16PM -0600, Binam, Jesse wrote:
> CGI/suexec is not sufficient for me since I still cannot run as root. I
> know there are other options that would probably be easier, but I think
> the mpm would work better, plus it would be awesome for virtual hosting
> as well if I could get it working. My need is to be able to run mod_php
> as root. (and before I get torched, I am well aware of the security
> risks.) Which I can not do with suexec. It would probably be easier to
> break suexec than make perchild work, but I don't like that plan.

Running a seperate instance of httpd as the desired user and using
mod_rewrite + mod_proxy as a reverse proxy has always been sufficient
for my needs. The overhead isn't that large, you shouln't need to
maintain seperate installations - just different config files and you
get the comfort and ease of being on a stable release.

suexec and mod_php never mix, you would have to use the cli version
of php, so that plan would never pan out. And for the record, it
isn't just insane to run php as root, it's really stupid too. There
can be absolutely no need, if you really really really need root
permissions, write a small suid wrapper to do it for you.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: [EMAIL PROTECTED]