Quoting Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > What about enabling via a per-dir directive?  Looks very useful, but some
> sites
> >   might have a significant number of new entries in error log serving no
> useful
> > purpose (for them).
>
> The problem with per-dir is that the user might not know exactly where in
> the config file he should be editting.  If they did, they probably
> wouldn't have a problem finding the relevant allow/deny in the first
> place.

I agree.

> What about keeping the old error message, but logging an *additional*
> message at loglevel debug with the additional info?

That is certainly possible but I was trying to make things as easy as possible
for newbies. I think having both modules available, and using a -D flag to
select which one to load would probably work out better. But that is just one
person's opinion.

> Two other notes:
> - Personally, I hate arbitrary path-size limitations.  They always bite
> you when you least expect it.  What about dynamically sizing this?

That was how I did it the first time, and then I thought that someone would
complain about the possible storage usage.

Actually, the best thing would be to use the pointer from the directive
structure, but I could not convince myself that it was in the right pool. If
someone who understands Apache 2's configuration system better than me said
"the filename in the directive structure is allocated in a pool which is still
live when the directive is being used", I would happily change it.

> - You'll get more people to read your patches if you use "diff -u".

Tastes vary. I can post it that way if you prefer. But two people reading it
in 11 minutes isn't bad :)

Rici.