Greg,

I just started reviewing the RFC.

I thought that mod_dav support was required...
...but it doesn't appear in any 'MUST' statement.

Philosophically, using the existing Apache HOOK seems like the right
thing to do if the solution is going to provide a universal HTTP ACL
solution.
One for both DAV enabled sites and non-DAV enabled sites.

It would have to provide the following:
    - Use the ACCESS_CHECKER hook to determine accessability
      (perhaps query-ing the backend like PROPFIND does currently)
    - Support the ACL method to update an ACL for a resource
    - If DAV-enabled, support PROPFIND for reporting info on Principals
& properties
    - If DAV-enabled, support PROPPATCH for updating info on Principals
    - If DAV-enabled, support REPORT for reporting info on Principals
and properties

Could mod_dav/mod_dav_fs be modified to perform all of the above,
for both DAV enabled sites and non-DAV enabled sites???

If so, merging of PROPFIND results between modules wouldn't be
necessary...

Also...One question I had about 3744...
the RFC says in the Introduction:

   ...The "operations you can perform" are determined by a
   single "access control list" (ACL) associated with a resource.

This seems to mirror UNIX's file mode...
...however, in UNIX if a parent directory prevents access, then
even if the file's mode allows access, the file access is prevented.

The RFC seems to say to me, the resource's mode is the single
determining
factor.  Its parent collection's mode is of no consequence.

Am I reading this right???

-tony