Bennett, Tony - CNF wrote:
Also...One question I had about 3744... the RFC says in the Introduction:

   ...The "operations you can perform" are determined by a
   single "access control list" (ACL) associated with a resource.

This seems to mirror UNIX's file mode...
...however, in UNIX if a parent directory prevents access, then even if the file's mode allows access, the file access is prevented.

The RFC seems to say to me, the resource's mode is the single
determining
factor. Its parent collection's mode is of no consequence.

Am I reading this right???

Yes and no. The access rights are modeled on the resource and never are implicitly inherited. You *may* use inherited privileges, though, see <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3744.html#PROPERTY_inherited-acl-set>), but that probably wouldn't work well here if you'd have a backend that allows multiple collection bindings (ie. multiple hard links to folders), so the same resource (file) would appear in multiple WebDAV collections (folders).

On the other hand, there's nothing that prevents you from requiring a special "directory access" privilege on the collection identified by the parent of the request URI in addition to the standard DAV:* privileges on the leaf node.

Anyway, for questions about the spec itself you may want to address <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (I'm not sure all of the authors are subscribing this list).

Best regards, Julian