Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

Using OPTIONS has the advantage of being backwards compatible, if you
send OPTIONS to a plain-old HTTP receiver, the standard ACK can be
taken to mean "yep, I'm here". Intelligent backends (read: modify
tomcat and co slightly) can have an X-header or whatever to go
"I'm accepting this, this and this, and my current load is this".

This makes sense - you would just need to tell proxy the possible servers, and an intelligent load balancer might try find out the current status of those servers based on querying options to find out on a regular basis.

Regards,
Graham