Nick Kew wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Henri Gomez wrote:

[ chopped tomcat-dev because that bounces my mail ]

As a startingpoint, how about telling us what tomcat needs that
mod_proxy and friends don't provide?

In mod_jk/jk2, there is support for load-balancing and fault-tolerance and it's a key feature.

Good start.

I'm guessing you're ahead of me here, and your reason for posting to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is that you can see that implementing these capabilities
will be of general interest to more than just tomcat users?

Back to tomcat-dev + httpd-dev.

Well this kind of features will be usefull for more than just
Tomcat users of course.

Our main interest in inviting httpd-dev members to tomcat-dev list
is to see if common interest could be shared and of course take
recommandations for the jk/jk2 successor.

My gut feeling would be to keep this properly modular. Let mod_proxy be the core of it, and implement load-balancing and fault-tolerance in additional modules. As a matter of fact, one of my wishlist-projects is a connection-pooling module for backend HTTP connections in a proxy. That might actually be the same as your project.

And what about using AJP/1.3 instead of HTTP for connection to tomcat ?)

In fact mod_proxy could be a good starting point for learning how
relying request from Apache 2.x to Tomcat for what we called
actually mod_ajp, to avoid confusion with jk/jk2.

But :

- If you add load-balancing/fault-tolerance and AJP 1.3 support in
  mod_proxy you'll have about 99% of the current functionalities of
  jk 1.2.x.

We discussed also the need for some dynamic mapping and topology discovery/update (between Apache and Tomcats Clusters).

And in fine, we like to have some JMX like functionnalities in Apache 2,
in our case CMX for C Management Extension, a way to update Apache 2.x
configuration while the server is running...