Graham Leggett wrote:

proxyrequests on proxyvia on allowconnect 8081 80 8080

OK. From that config what would be remotes that we could connect to? Dynamically obtained from Via header or...?

Seems to me that the balancer is totally unusable in
such a configuration.

Keep in mind "proxyrequests on" enables forward proxy operation ala squid. Here the balancer could be used to choose between the best downstream website and/or proxy.

OK, but still what are the remotes to connect to? If they are dynamically determined then I'll need to fix the way the workers are determined. Right now each physical box we can connect to has to be at least once specified in the config. The question is: Is it OK to resolve that on the first successful request on the unspecified host?

It is not a problem to add the worker dynamically if never specified,
but I'm worried about the security in that case.
Is the NoProxy meant to be used in such situations?

Regards, MT.