From what I can see, the reason for providing a short and simple
welcome page is to avoid confusing people by giving them too much
information.  The question I would ask is, are you just trading one set
of problems for another?  How many people are we going to confuse by not
giving enough information?  You may be climbing out of one boat full of
problems, just to climb into another.

   Translation issues aside, personally the only thing that I see wrong
with the welcome page is the fact that it keeps referring to "this
system".  Cut the first paragraph and the rest is fine.

  I guess the point is, too much information might be a problem in this
case, but then so is too little.

Just my 1 of 1000 opinions.

Brad

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
>
>> No, because this is a very confusing and ambiguous statement from
the
>> perspective of a random web surfer who stumbles on the page.  Their

>> response is "Why are you saying I installed a webserver on my
computer?
>> This must be some kind of security breach.  Call in the marines!"
(And I'm
>> hardly exagerating!)
>
> Point... How about "The website you have accessed has not yet been
> configured. Please try to access this website again later."? It's
directed at
> end users, and does not imply anywhere that the server might be
running on
> their local machine.

My opinion is that the shorter message is better because, by the fact
that
it gives no information at all, it is less likely to be misinterpreted
mean something that the website owner doesn't intend.

I won't object if someone wants to put another piece of text there, as

long as it doesn't start us back on the same road we left 5+ years ago

with this page.

Joshua.