Interesting question.

I have just done a large scale review of our web server architecture and
have recommended a move to 2.0. There were a number of factors for not
moving, both
specific to our installation as well as in general. In general :

Remeber the old adage "If it is not broke, do not fix it". The 1.3 series
is still an amazing piece of software.

Specifically, the arguements against moving in our case :

mod_auth_oracle has not been ported to 2.0.
One module I wrote would have to be redone for 2.0. This module gave us a
60% performance boost on our request latency time and has to be in any
installation.
I made changes to the 1.3 proxy code which I do not look forward to
changing in 2.0.
Due to our hardware architecture (IBM BladeCenter and Linux) scalability
was not an issue.

What won me over? Load balancing and fail over proposals in mod_proxy for
the 2.2 series. As I am moving to a new hardware platform in December, I
felt it best to bite the bullet to 2.0 now.

Performance wise I noticed little difference between the two using prefork
MPM. With the bladecenter there was no requirement for scalability.

Thats about it.

BTW if it makes a difference,this Apache installation is nothing more than
a central HTTP hub for proxying to mutliple back end servers.

Jeffrey Burgoyne

Chief Technology Architect
KCSI Keenuh Consulting Services Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]