Graham Leggett wrote:
Hi all,

I've been keen to do some digging for reasons why someone might need to install httpd v1.3 instead of v2.0 or later.

Support for mod_backhand seems to be a significant reason (and getting backhand ported to v2.0 would be a win): Apart from backhand, are there in the experience of the people on this list any other significant apps out there that are keeping people from deploying httpd v2.x?

Regards,
Graham
--

Hi,

in my organization we are heavy users of Apache 1.3 and have no intent of migrating to 2 yet.

The main reason why we are not migrating to 2 is related to bug 17877 I filed for Apache 1.3 last year. We are using Apache as a reverse proxy using mod_rewrite and mod_proxy and we need to proxy WebDAV requests. Those requests are often sent using Chunked as their transfer-encoding, and our reverse proxies need to forward those. The vanilla mod_proxy rejects those requests (in both 1.3 and 2.0), but as we cannot control the DAV clients being used this kind of behaviour is not an option we can tolerate.

I patched mod_proxy in 1.3 to pass those requests 'AS IS' to the origin servers (which we KNOW for sure to be 1.1 compliant). My patch would not port easily to version 2 as the structure of mod_proxy has changed significantly between 1.3 and 2.

The availability of filtering in Apache 2 seemed at first a nice feature to use but it turned out keepalive connections' requests are far from easy to handle, at least using mod_perl and the perl filter hooks. I do not know if this has been fixed yet or not as I did not have time to look again at mod_perl but this was sure a problem for us to start using this nice Apache 2 feature.

Mathias.

'AS IS' to the origin servers otherwise they might just crash due to the size of the data being transfered (several hundreds of Mb or even several Gb) which canno