At 10:42 AM 6/17/2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Checkout date/time is generally the right choice for developers, because otherwise make doesn't always pick up when a file has changed. (I've been bit by the Visual SourceSafe "modification time" default enough times.)

Although - heh - you are assuming the order of the checked out files happen to be stacked so that the dependency happens to be a fraction of a second older than the target :)

Actually, I'm assuming that there are no checked in files that are dependents of other checked in files, (no generated files ever checked in) since that's also asking for trouble (been there, done that).