Hi,

Last week, we've been discussing what mod_mbox should output (XML+XSLT
or XHTML?) and we seemed to settle our minds on a simple XHTML output
for the interface, plus of course the XML backend for AJAX
sub-requests.

Still, someone on the #apache-modules IRC channel (was it chipig or
iholsman ? I don't remember) came up with some questions about
mod_mbox internationalization.

mod_mbox does not have a lot of strings ('prev', 'next', etc. Stuff
like that), but it actually does not contain any i18n mechanism (these
strings are hard coded in the C code).

We are here facing problems, whatever solution is used :

- If we choose XHTML output, strings of the interface will be
  hard coded in the C code (in 'normal' / non-javascript browsing)

- With the XML+XSLT output, these strings are in the XSLT so they can
  be easily translated. Two "sub-solutions" are available :
   * provide a full XSLT per language
   * use variables for strings and a sub XSL defining this variables
     depending on the language.

In both cases, all strings of the interface in the AJAX browser (I'll
tell more about this in another thread tomorrow) are generated from
the Javascript.

I don't know much about i18n, neither in XSLT nor in
Javascript. Comments and ideas are welcome while I'm gathering more
information.

- Sam

--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.