I decided to do some informal benchmark comparisons between using
windows SMBFS and apache/webdav for file transfers.  I ended up finding
that apache is actually faster at sending files over an SSL connection
than a plain connection.  I downloaded a ~600 meg test file from the
server using windows explorer webfolders, IE, and firefox.  Firefox
downloads the file in the 4000-5000 KB/s range when using an SSL
connection.  IE gets over 10,000 KB/s downloading over the secure
connection.  Both only are able to download at 300-600 KB/s using the
non SSL connection though.  This is, of course, all done over a 100 Mbps
ethernet network that is minimally loaded, and I repeated the test a few
times, clearing the browsers caches each time.

Needless to say, this is very strange.  My client machine is running
windows 2000 pro, and the server is running windows 2003 server, with
apache 2.0.52 installed.  Does anyone have any ideas to possibly explain
and correct these results?