Phillip Susi wrote:

I decided to do some informal benchmark comparisons between using
windows SMBFS and apache/webdav for file transfers.  I ended up finding
that apache is actually faster at sending files over an SSL connection
than a plain connection.  I downloaded a ~600 meg test file from the
server using windows explorer webfolders, IE, and firefox.  Firefox
downloads the file in the 4000-5000 KB/s range when using an SSL
connection.  IE gets over 10,000 KB/s downloading over the secure
connection.  Both only are able to download at 300-600 KB/s using the
non SSL connection though.  This is, of course, all done over a 100 Mbps
ethernet network that is minimally loaded, and I repeated the test a few
times, clearing the browsers caches each time.

Did you restart Apache too, to clear the memory cache of the OS?

Joost