--On August 18, 2005 3:59:05 PM +0100 Colm MacCarthaigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thinking about it, everything is going into memory anyway, so why not
just stat() the file and read it all in in one go?

We know it's never going to be that big anyway. This completely
minimises the number of read()'s, which is a big deal and if memory
management is an issue, we can use a subpool for the buffer.

But, that's why we do the buffered read. It almost always ends up being one read() for me as the header file is always less than 4k.

I don't believe we should necessarily optimize based on the results of one platform when we know its going to kill us everywhere else. -- justin