On Aug 18, 2005, at 7:11 PM, Jem Berkes wrote:

Here is my current plan for introducing the RBL support in mod_smtpd, using
the existing mod_dnsbl_lookup which I posted earlier. This way of
accomplishing the RBL support should not require any code modification to mod_smtpd itself. Nick and Rian, let me know if I should be going about
this a different way?

I thought the most modular fashion would be to create a mod_smtpd_rbl that
registers the following mod_smtpd hooks:
smtpd_run_connect (might deny service to connecting IP, per request_rec)
smtpd_run_mail (might deny service to this envelope domain, per loc)

+1

These would query whitelists and blacklists, whatever is available.

I don't mind whipping up this bridging mod_smtpd_rbl module, but if it
seems excessive to introduce a new module for this purpose then the other way of doing this would be to add the RBL supporting code into mod_smtpd
itself.

Don't do this just yet, mod_smtpd is changing completely! completely = structures/io. I should commit my changes very soon so you can start working on this.

Either way it's done, RBLs are still not required and mod_dnsbl_lookup does not have to be present for mod_smtpd to function normally. However, adding a new bridging module has the advantage of leaving mod_smtpd code alone and
taking advantage of the hooks interface.

+1
-rian