--On September 30, 2005 1:43:50 PM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

   * Ship httpd-2.2.x.tar.gz (solo), and httpd-2.2.x-bundle.tar.gz which
     includes all the sub-packages the user should likely need (including
     pcre/apr/-util/expat/-iconv/)?  Perhaps even zlib/openssl?

IIRC, Subversion has already decided to go down this path for it's upcoming 1.3.0 series. So, I'm not adverse to this idea for httpd either. It offers a compromise solution for our users - at the expense of some additional mirror space. We'd have to be careful to document what's what too so our users don't get confused by the additional options.

(I would be against distributing anything beyond our 'bare' minimums - so no zlib or OpenSSL.)

My only comment about unbundling pcre is that we're *very* particular about the pcre version. Most OS distribution's versions of pcre aren't even close to being acceptable. We can't rely on any OS-native regex engines either as they aren't sufficient. For expat and iconv, any installed version will likely be satisfactory. So, I think pcre must stay. -- justin